Friday, April 7, 2017

Foto Friday

When I went to bed last night I made the mistake of looking out my windows - woops! There was a layer of white stuff on everything! Yuck! It's all gone now but it made me wonder what the weather was like one year ago.

These photos cover this week, one year ago. There was a tiny bit of snow on the trout lilies...

and weenies and burgers on my brother's BBQ!

My sister and brother-in-law were visiting from PEI!

There I am...

 In addition to the trout lilies blooming the blood root was up.

The trails at Kilally were dry and the sky was blue...

Lots of limbs were down...

blossoms were unfolding...

moss was glowing...

and an odd looking landscape was revealing itself.

Although it is nippy and very windy here today the snow is gone and the temperatures are supposed to rise to 20c by Monday. That will bring the spring flowers on and will take me to the forest!

Here's what I saw a week ago in the forest:

I love skunk cabbage when it first appears...

It is so gloriously green...

and when you look straight down at it it looks like giant green roses.



Ivy and other ground cover is springing back to life...

 and my first glimpse of forest wildflowers is the lovely bright coltsfoot! I was so happy to see it!


...and the pussy willow trees were a welcome sight...



...wild garlic everywhere! So fragrant!


I checked the osprey nest but nothing to see there yet...it won't be long. You may remember that last May I went to the forest for 30 days in a row and recorded what I saw. I plan to do that again this year as volleyball ends at the end of April so I can go back to my forest wanderings.

I have seen (mostly heard) lots of birds but no much animal life yet. I can't wait to see the white-tailed deer and their new flock of young ones. Last year I was lucky enough to see the buck a few times.

Today is BLOG POST 1199!! I'll have to come up with something really great for Post 1200! Something wise and pithy (love that word)! Wait and see... (I really have no idea yet!) Maybe something from the forest!!

Have a good weekend everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I have it on good authority that we are in for a fine weekend though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have prep for a church breakfast but we're supposed to have a perfect day so I need to get out and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!