Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Gut Wrenching Week



Most of us have gay friends or family members. I'm lucky enough to have 3 gay family members. As far as I know none have been beaten up or shot at. Well, that's not quite true.

I have gay friends who live openly as a couple in the little village where I grew up. I always thought of them as a huge success story as they've been together for almost 50 years (they fell in love as very young teenagers.) High school sweethearts you might say. They have a thriving business, and many friends and family members who love them. I have even felt proud of my little village who have supported their business and were accepting of their relationship. My village of 1800 people wasn't exactly known for its inclusiveness but nevertheless my two male friends have flourished.

Today one of them wrote a Facebook post relating an incident that happened when he was 15 and walking to his boyfriend's house. A car full of teenage boys pulled over and beat the heck out of him, leaving him in a ditch. He never told anyone (other than his partner) about what happened all of those years ago until today. Imagine carrying that around with you for 50 years. And yet he is the kindest, sweetest most gentle person.

There is nothing wrong with being gay, there is nothing wrong with being black, there is nothing wrong with being disabled, old, fat, Iraqi, Jewish or a woman.

But some days it sure is hard.

There's not much I can do about the victims and their families in Orlando. But I am going to go now and watch "Pride"; one of my favourite movies of all time (it's on Netflix). If a bunch of surly, rigid and intolerant Welsh miners and their families could learn to love "the gays" then everyone can! If you haven't seen this movie yet I urge you to - it's based on a true story and shows that if you dig deeply enough you can find the heart in everyone.

My love to you all: ONE Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!