Saturday, June 20, 2015

The Doctor is in...

It was touch and go but I finally saw a REAL doctor on Friday!


The medical centre that I go to is a teaching centre with residents coming and going every six months. We've been going to the same centre since Kazi was 2 so for 23 years and I've never had any reason to want to see a doctor rather than a resident.

But I pushed for an appointment with the head doctor of the team because I felt I wasn't being heard. And I'm glad I did.

There were a couple of delays Friday, unfortunately, as doctors are way busier than the residents and my app't ended up being switched from 11:15am to 1:45pm. So being close to my brother's house I stopped in for a cup of tea and a sandwich. Then I was finally in my doctor's office which is always hot, stuffy and claustrophobic when she popped her head in saying she'd be there in just a minute. It was after 3pm when I finally saw her. Sheesh!

First thing she wanted to know was why wasn't there any imaging (MRI) done? Because your resident didn't think it was necessary!!! (She was NOT pleased!) So, long story short, I'm being sent for an MRI!! Hurrah! And she thought I should go back on the two medications I had weaned myself off of last year. Being a realist and having the support of you wonderful people, I agreed. And I have a physio referral I can use at my discretion.

Now, that's what a doctor's visit should be like - she listened, used all the tools at her disposal and I feel like we can figure out a solution together. She has given me hope.
If only.....

Have you had problems with a doctor before?? I know Sonya Ann has!!


10 comments:

  1. So glad you were seen, AND HEARD, by a doctor. Oh, if we could just photoshop new parts:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad things are looking up, Jane. It pays to insist sometimes!

    No problems from docs, I am now being treated with Synthroid for hypothyroidism, 1 month in and I believe the dosage is too high. It is causing me a whole bunch of emotional problems... :(

    Good luck with the MRI, hope that is done soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me laugh. Hmmm, I have complained a lot about that idiot. We still have crappy and expensive insurance that no one will take. We all refuse to see him and go to the CVS clinic. Its more but she listens. How sad is that. DJ said once that he didn't want to go to our doctor because he didn't want to be told he was pregnant.
    I am so so glad that you got to see the doctor. It is so miserable to tell someone that you are miserable and they dismiss you. I call BS on that one. I really think that it will be resolved now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you were persistent and saw an experienced doc. I hope she has you on the right track now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you saw a doctor. Hope you don't have to wait too long for an MRI. There should be several in your city.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am glad someone finally listened to you. It's awful going to the doctors and being told constantly there is nothing wrong with you! It's so bloody frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you got someone REAL to talk to about it and are getting action taken! I had that problem with Maddy when she was 4. Her tonsils were the size of large grapes and the doctor who looked at her was trying harder to impress the young intern with him than me. He said to just keep doing what we're doing. She'd had strep more times than I could count and I wanted whatever it was fixed. So we went to a PA up the road, who happens to be associated with our first doctor, but we didn't know that at the time. The PA is a neighbor of ours. He looked at Maddy's throat and she had her tonsils out within 2 days. He even stopped over at our house with a gift for her while she recuperated! It's always good to have one medical professional on your side! Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for real doctors!! I've had the same Dr for 15 years. He's amazing :-) life feels so much easier when they listen.
    Hugs Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Geez, so glad you are getting an MRI at last. Healthcare sucks everywhere, it seems. Good for you for getting on the bandwagon, sounds like fun and for a good cause?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Didn't mean to add question mark at the end of that, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!