Sunday, November 9, 2014

Heading back to where I started!

My last day of walking (sort of)... I lingered over coffee and a newspaper before I made my start...at this point I was wishing I had another two weeks of walking ahead of me. I'm feeling fit and I love the routine of getting up and back on the road each day.  My confidence is stronger and I can't remember a time when I've enjoyed myself more. The combination of hiking through the most gorgeous countryside imaginable, the history-filled villages, the amazing adventurers and locals that I've met, meeting up with fellow blogger Annie, exercise, fresh air, good food - I just don't want it to end!!

The stairs to ? I am standing in the back courtyard of my hotel, getting ready to start on my walk back to Moreton-in-Marsh.

Ok, I'm going, I'm really going now...goodbye Chipping Camden!

Goodbye plump pigeon!

 I followed a little stream, or canal, out of town...
 Looking back of course...
 It was right about here where a number of paths intersected and for the life of me I couldn't figure out which way to go. I couldn't find the landmark and the instructions were very confusing:
"Here turn left by Meadowback House (there was a sign but NO house!) and immediately turn right following the field boundary before the path heads across the open field towards a post and kissing gate." 

Well, not knowing where to turn left and then immediately right I was at a loss... a woman came along walking her dog so I asked her if she knew which way I should go in order to get to Broad Campden and thankfully she was able to head me in the right direction.  I have no idea what happened to "Meadowback House!" Even the map I had showed NO turns (left or right) between Chipping Camden and Broad Campden so I was a bit confused, but no matter, I was back on track.
I was on the Heart of England Way and it wasn't long before Broad Campden came into view.

 The path took me right across the front lawn of this cottage..
There's the path and the cottage is out of view to my left.
 ...and there it is behind me...I had emerged from those trees past the car...
 I loved the path through this little area...first a gate...
 ...and a winding stone path between houses...



...until I emerged onto an open road once again...

 Time for a snack?
 What a gorgeous little village...

...the requisite church...

...and thatched cottages...

 ...back to the countryside and a few hills to climb...

 ...I started to hear some shots!...
 ...and really hoped I wasn't in the way!!  And no, I didn't stop to find out what was going on... any ideas?

 I concentrated on getting out of range...puff puff puff...

 ...and then got lost in the incredible views...

 ...I had a LOT of fields to walk through...and found lots of poppies growing wild...


 ...the path I was on was also a bridlepath. And I wasn't alone on the path!
I went through another farm yard...

 ...where I took a TON of photos to allow some other walkers time to get ahead of me...

...then it was back on the road again...and such a beautiful road it was...

 I enjoyed every moment of it...



 This photo shows where I'm going...you can see the path in the bottom left hand corner...I'm going down the hill, over a fence and then up the next hill. See you there!

 I'm down and now heading up...

 and up...


 ...what's through here?

It's the village of Blockley!


 The houses you see to the left are the old mill worker's cottages...


Love the path cutting across a cultivated field! Can't get lost here!

 And here is Blockley. There is supposed to be a little store/cafe with washrooms. It shouldn't be too hard to find.

 I'll just head to the church, usually that's the centre of the village...


I had a nice refreshing ginger beer and a snack, used the washroom and explored a little. I met up with new friends from Quebec in the cafe but they were just heading out - I'll see them later at dinner in Moreton-in-Marsh.

 I explored the beautiful church of St. Peter and St. Paul and picked up the path again on the other side of the church.

 Next stop: Moreton-in-Marsh!

 So long Blockley!!



4 comments:

  1. I've never seen a more stunning place. The door in the fence is perfection. Did you cry when you had to leave? I would have.
    Antioch just seems so blah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed this stretch..your next part of the journey I don't know.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, wish I was there with you. i wore your scarf/shawl to the theater on Saturday and thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I would love to do that much walking in England. I have done a few fantastic walk, but only ever for a few miles at the weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!