Sunday, April 7, 2013

Scrub a Dub Dub!


Good morning!  It's alternating between sunshine and dark clouds today, pretty breezy too. But all of that is AOK because the temperature must be around 10c!!!! Yeehaw!! Spring has sprung at last! Maybe.....

Ok, we won't dwell on the possibility that Mother Nature is rubbing her hands with glee at the thought of dumping a pile of snow on us again but I CAN DREAM CAN'T I???

Oh dear Lord, please let it be SPRING!

On to business.....

I just found $1,000.00!! Yes, it's true! No I'm not losing my marbles though I know some would argue with that. Here's how - because I'm nice that way - I want to share my wealth-building strategies with you because that's what it's all about right?

OK, here goes.
Step One:  Buy a truck for $5,000.00
Step Two: Take money out of your Line of Credit to pay for it.
Step Three: Think that you are taking out $5,000.00 but really only take out $4,000.00 and use savings to cover the other $1,000.00.
Step Four: Forget Steps 1 through 3.
Step Five: Make a payment of $1250.00 on your Line of Credit and check your balance remaining.
Step Six: Do a HAPPY DANCE when you realize you only have $2750.00 left to pay back instead of $3750.00!!

Easy peasy!  You're welcome!

In other financial news I have purchased the lovely pair of appliances shown below for our PEI home. I'm feeling pretty darn happy that I was able to cross off TWO MUST HAVE items for our retirement abode - Dougie the Dodge  and now a washer and dryer!!!!! They are scheduled to arrive on July 5th!  I am paying for them with my tax refund which should be rolling in by the end of this week.  Dougie the Dodge will be paid off by the end of April and all of my savings in May and June will go into my EMERGENCY FUND (which is currently empty!!) - around $5,000.00.  Then all that I can save between July and December of this year will go towards long term savings - my TFSA and RRSPs.
Aren't they pretty?  
This is how we did laundry for the last two summers. (And of course we will continue to use our clothesline as much as possible to keep our electricity bill down).
Unfortunately I only have pictures of Michael hanging the clean clothing on the line. I don't have pictures of how he cleaned our clothes. Can you guess? YES, IN THE BATHTUB!!! I don't know how I let that photo op go by uncaptured! A half naked Michael, very damp, muscles pumping as he scrubbed and scrubbed....leaning over the tub....

Do you think I can still cancel my appliance order??

18 comments:

  1. Perhaps a half naked Michael distracted you too much to take a photo :)


    How long until retirement now?


    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  2. 448 days!! Just under 3 months left of this school year, then one more! Getting closer everyday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goals are small, like me. I'm willing to live on less.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT!! No pics of Michael the laundry guy? What kind of blogger are you?!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, I'm ashamed of myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane,
    Nice set. Though I think Michael was doing a fine job. Is he always smiling?
    I just love his smile. I can't believe that you will be retiring so soon. Where has the time gone. I bet you can't wait and the count down is definitely on. I think you are getting everything set up nicely for that day. First with the truck and now the other items required to run a household. I still remember the pictures of your fridge arriving last year. By the time the day comes you will be comfortable sitting back and watching your first snow storm. Don't forget about the back-up generator. Maritime electric has a way to set it up from your hydro meter now so it may not be as costly this way. Might be worth checking out this Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice new appliances! But I would be torn too about cancelling it if my man did the laundry...No such luck here :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can't win them all Lena! You've still got a pretty good guy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tip regarding the generator! I will check into that. I've been warned that the electricity comes and goes even in the good weather lol! And yes, Michael is almost always smiling - he is a happy and content man so I am blessed indeed. The time has flown by hasn't it. It seems not too long ago when I had a FIVE year plan, now I'm down to almost ONE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha!! God love ya, Jane!! ;) Yay on the new appliances!! I'm sure Michael will still do your laundry the nitty gritty way.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your attitude :) I hope spring has arrived for you. It's always warm out here in San Diego, but I'm from the northeast, so I realize that's not the case everywhere. I'm sending warm thoughts your way. I love your new appliances by the way!! Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You could always tell Michael the new machines "won't work" with PEI power...ahem...So great to hear spring has arrived in some parts of the country! We did get up to +6C today (all the way up from -22C on Thursday!), so it's a start, but there's still way too much snow around for my liking. Ah well, we certainly can't rush Mother Nature. I suppose it IS a woman's prerogative to change her mind, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hm...Did my last comment get saved or eaten? :/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm, I wonder if the clothes will be cleaner with the new washer or with Michael? Congrats on saving $1000! I don't want to say what i just spent on a brand spanking new shiny car...I guess I'll be posting about it soon. :)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL, well maybe if you ask Michael nicely he'll still do some hand washing specially for you. By the way, not sure if you know this but HST was just instated here and it applies to electricity (people are NOT happy about this). So keeping an eye on your electricity use is still very necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laura/nomorespendingApril 12, 2013 at 2:51 PM

    Woot!! It's getting close now Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on the new machines and on your "found" money ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not to nag but you haven't updated your blog for a while. Hint, hint, hint, nag, nag, nag!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!