Thursday, February 16, 2012

Valentine's Day Photos

Just a few photos from Tuesday's fantastic meal, followed by a fantastic movie, followed by a fantastic....
bottle of wine...just kidding...about the wine...we had it with dinner!

Cinnamon hearts on the table runner, flowers, wine...
Jerk chicken smothered in onions...
Chef Michael of the Wild Mountain Honey Cafe...
One of our favorite wines (from South Africa), salad with yummy mango and our smiling faces looking on...
 Candlelight of course...
 A bit of the east coast for starters - I was sooo surprised!!
In addition to receiving flowers at work Michael purchased more for the table...
He's a KEEPER! 
My request for dinner was: jerk chicken, potatoes browned in olive oil and herbs, veggies...and icecream!
It really was lovely! Thank you Michael!

Susanna - this is for YOU! (and anyone else who happens to wander by and wants to try my adapted recipe:


Oat Squares
1/3 cup olive oil                  3/4 cup of milk (I have used skim and/or vanilla soy milk
1/2 cup brown sugar           1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour      1 cup Quaker oats (not the quick kind!)
1/2 tsp baking powder        3/4 cup raisins (I actually use 1/2 cup raisins and then add whatever else I might have on hand such as chopped walnuts or pecans, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, dark chocolate chips - about 1/4 cup of each)
1/2 tsp of salt.
Heat oven to 350. Grease a 8x8 cake pan. Mix oil and sugar together. Alternate between adding flour/baking power/salt with milk and vanilla. Stir in oats, raisins etc. Put in pan and bake for 30-35 minutes; cut in squares. Eat them the way they are or you can spread a little jam or honey on top! Delicious and healthy!!!

ENJOY!!

21 comments:

  1. I love the photos you share. Such a wonderful relationship you guys have and it's nice to see. 

    That dinner looks very yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh...love is in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does Michael have a brother???  Single, of course.  If so, send the brother out west!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great Valentine's dinner you had!  Just found your blog and love it. I'm your new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that settles it, next year I'm crashing your Vday! I have absolutely no qualms about being a third wheel. :P lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We wouldn't have a problem with that either lol! 

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's wonderful Lena - welcome!! Hope you'll stick around - we have a super nice blogging community - check out my blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get asked that a lot LOL! He has one brother in Jamaica who just got married (for the 3rd time!) and several in Miami and the Bahamas (BIG family!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michael is the only truly romantic guy I've ever had the pleasure to know - I know I am blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's something special about  relationship formed when your kids are grown - life is just beginning anew!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How special and beautiful and sometimes you want to start your afters before you can leave a restaurant....if you know what I mean...

    We had salmon, roast potatoes and veggies with hollandaise sauce. For dessert devonshire toffee and fudge ice cream.

    We saved a present to drink-a bottle of champagne from one of my pupils -a wonderful Christmas present.

    We had candles, our cards on the table too...

    Very romantic and special!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!  It all looks amazing - he is a definite keeper! 

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are right, he is a keeper!  What a wonderful ROMANTIC valentines!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooh thanks Jane! do you have the jerk chicken recipe too LOL?! and bummer though - I thought he'd cook in nothing but an apron and a smile! :-)s ounds awesome - I'm afraid I'm not that romantic - it'd take a bit for stuff to soak in with me - seriously - I'd be happy with the food on a plate snuggled in the living room and some good sex afterwards hee hee! I"m also happy with nestle crunch vs godiva LOL! yep I'm weird all right!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll have to ask Michael about the jerk chicken - he doesn't really use a recipe, just tastes things as they cook but I'm sure he could put something together. LOL you are too funny!! and you know, I never saw myself as romantic either - I think is just depends on who you're with!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We were very lucky to find each other at this stage in our lives! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Borrower! He had so much fun doing it all too - personally, I wouldn't care if I never cooked another meal!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmmmmmmmm I love the sounds of your meal - especially dessert! (I have a sweet tooth, a weakness of mine LOL!). Do you teach adults??? It's not often you get a bottle of champagne from a youngster!!  I taught adults for awhile and really enjoyed it but had to leave because it was just an hourly wage and no benefits and I really needed benefits!) but one class chipped in and bottle me a bottle of scotch!! LOVED that class LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely (love, love, love, jerk chicken). By the way, you and Michael have such beautiful and infectious smiles, seeing them just makes me grin.
    Thanks for sharing your pictures

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, wow, it boggles the mind! The food, the romance, two great people ... the food!!!!
    I think Martin and I really need to pull our socks up in the Valentine's department, ha ha.
    You guys are great! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a meal!  my mouth is watering.  Michael looks like a pretty amazing cook, not to mention all round sweet guy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!