Wednesday, July 27, 2011

CATCH OF THE DAY: The Family Herald - Canada's National Farm Magazine

Today I find myself sitting at the MacDonald's in Summerside - they have WIFI!! (and really good iced coffee...a large is only $1.00!!!) It's another wet cool day here on the island so we went exploring which we LOVE to do so let's hear it for RAINY DAYS - YAY!!  I figure if I say that often enough I just might convince myself (yay rainy days, yay rainy days...)

A few weeks ago (yay rainy days) Michael had a brilliant idea...(yes, in addition to washing clothes in the bathtub, being a great cook and you should see him handle a machete he also comes up with a brilliant idea on occasion...ok...frequently:) We keep finding (yay rainy days) neat stuff - on the beach, while hiking around and in the many used furniture and antique stores we like to explore, garage sales etc - so he thought I should write a post called "Catch of the Day" which also has a seaside flavour to it. Brilliant right? 

However, there is one little problem with this otherwise terrific idea...the DAY part.  See, it implies (yay rainy days) that there is a catch every day and that I'm going to post about it everyday but with infrequent internet use I just can't manage that, so perhaps it should be "Catch of the Week" but that doesn't sound quite as catchy (hee hee hee).

Anyhoo, (yay rainy days) today's CATCH is truly our most wonderful catch so far this summer.  While happily browsing in Coulson's used/antique store on the waterfront in Summerside I happened to glance up just as a man was walking past me holding a bunch of magazines in his hands.  I recognized the cover and the name - Family Herald - Canada's National Farm Magazine because my mother had several of her children's stories published in them when I was a little girl. I literally shouted that out to the older gentleman and he gamely assisted Michael and I in searching through them.  They were dated in the l950's and 1960's - the time period my mother was writing for them - could I be so lucky?? YES!!  We found four magazines with her stories published in them!!




I think these qualify as the "Catch of the YEAR!!"

14 comments:

  1. Did you buy the magazines with your mother's stories? I think that is pretty amazing to find then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful find!!!!!!!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that's so neat! I love rainy days if I"m home to enjoy them...it's been so dry here that even the brief showers we've had you can't tell an hour later! there's a tropical storm nearby that's supposed to bring rain Friday..crossing my fingers we get some rain and not a flood or hurricane!
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great find. I love the picture of the rocking chair in the mist. It is one of my favorites. You should get all of your mom's stories bound into a volume.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great find, Jane!! Talk about being "meant to be"!! :) The magazines look great! I wish they still made family type magazines like that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like you are still having an amazing time even with the rain ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing find, Jane! How lucky you were to be in the right place at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane, that has got to be the best 'antiquing' story I've ever heard. Sometimes there are great buys but something this personal is utterly amazing. How happy you must be to find these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another rainy day on PEI.... looking forward to hearing about your "catch of the day", Jane. What a great find and I bet the price was right, too. Enjoy your lazy Saturday!!!
    Take care Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is just cool!! Congrats on a great catch! :)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol, yay rainy days, my a**!!!!

    One thing about this abundance of rainy days is the vast appreciation of our sunny days!

    Love the magazines - you must be so proud of your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Talk about being at the right place at the right time! So glad you found those... how neat your mom published children's stories :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How completely wonderful! (Gave me goosebumps)I love right place at the right time stories!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thats a wonderful find! love the picture of the rocking chair too

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!