Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Welcome to P.E.I. - Crossing the "Fixed Link"

Wow, it took so long to upload this photo I can't remember what I was going to write about. That's one downfall of blogging at the trailer - the wireless connection is tenuous at the best of times, non-existant at the worst.


Here's Michael and I heading toward Confederation Bridge (or the Fixed Link as the Islanders not so fondly refer to it) - that amazing feat of engineering that connects PEI to New Brunswick. "There's no turning back now" I can actually hear myself saying that thanks to Michael's need to record absolutely everything:) Thanks dear!


I can also hear myself saying how glad I was that I couldn't see over the concrete barriers on each side of the bridge, built no doubt to inspire confidence in those of us who are deathly afraid of bridges.

If you can't see the sheer drop down into the Northumberland Straits then you can't be afraid of it...no?? I do remember wondering to myself if struck by a speeding car would those concrete barriers be strong enough to keep the car ON the bridge?? I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything out loud though. Well maybe OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!


We did make it safely across however, and the thrill of the crossing outweighed my anxiety. You see, I've crossed the Mackinac Bridge three times and each time I thought I was going to die. Seriously. You have to tune into a radio station to find out the conditions on the bridge and the news is NEVER good. The first time it was foggy and raining and a car and trailer were smashed up against the side at a 45 degree angle causing a bit of a backup. The second and third time it was icy and we crept across so slowly I thought my heart was going to explode from my chest.


Then there was the time I crossed a bridge over Chaleur Bay into Campbellton, New Brunswick; it was being repaired as we crossed over. It took at least half an hour to cross due to frequent stoppages as the workers put boards in place to cover the gaping holes through which I could see water far below. No fingernails left after that crossing! Took the LOOOOOOOONNNNNG way back.


So, even though Confederation Bridge is 13km long and takes about 10 minutes to cross it was almost an enjoyable experience and I wasn't too afraid to cross it again on our way home - though I wished I were driving, not Michael, because he likes to put his head out of the window and look around while he's driving - kinda nerve wracking to say the least. So I had to stare straight ahead in case I needed to grab the steering wheel while he stretched his arm up high out of the window to try to get shots of the water over the top of the barrier.


Man - I feel the need to take a valium and go lie down for awhile....until tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I just looked that bridge up on the Internet and wow, yes, very scary! I'm not sure that I could cross it, lol :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!