Monday, April 20, 2009

Sweet Potato Casserole

Last summer I discovered sweet potato fries and fell in love. (Can you have a relationship with a vegetable? Yes, I think so...) I fell in love with S. P. because he was sweet, rich and delectable. He smelled sooooooo good and made my old potato pale in comparison. It was love at first bite!


I first met him at a take-out window - I didn't really know what to do with him so just lightly salted him. That was ok but then I encountered him again at Harry's, on Main St. in Bayfield, and he came with a dip made from mayo and maple syrup. Well, I thought I had died and gone to heaven - a perfect match. From that moment on I was devoted to S.P. He is so wonderful I just had to share him with you.


Let me assure you he's the real deal - I googled S.P. and he's really as humble and honest as I thought he was. As an added bonus he's chock full of vitamins, especially A & C and other anti-oxidants and one good-sized S.P. only has about 95 calories. And rarely have I had to spend more than a dollar or two on him!





**In honour of Meatless Monday I've included an S.P. casserole recipe from their website. I'll give it a try and see if I rave about it as much as last weeks 3 bean chili. At only 116 calories per serving I'm raving already! (Did I say he was cheap?)


SWEET POTATO
CASSEROLE
Serves 6
• 4 medium sweet potatoes
• Vegetable oil spray
• 1 T. butter or Smart Balance
• 1/4 cup orange juice
• 2 T. chopped walnuts
• 1/4 t. nutmeg
Cook whole sweet potatoes in
boiling water 25 to 30 minutes
or until tender. Meanwhile,
preheat oven to 375ยบ F.
Lightly spray a 1-quart ca s s e ro l e
dish with vegetable oil spray.
Remove potatoes from heat and
add cold water until potatoes are
cooled slightly. Peel and mash.
Add remaining ingredients and
mix thoro u g h l y.
Place in ca s s e role dish and bake
u n c o v e red 25 minutes. Serve hot.
Calories: 116
Carbohydrates: 20g
Total Fat: 4g
Saturated Fat: 1g

5 comments:

  1. hee hee you found a healthy recipe! I like them with butter and sugary syrup and LOTS of marshmallows melted and browned over the top! slurp! I also put a little olive oil in a skillet then peel and slice them into 'rounds' and eat them that way. I still haven't tried the baked ones yet that I've seen several recipes yet -where they're sliced like french fries and coated with a bit of olive oil and baked. I think sweet potatoes are better for the blood sugar/glycemic index too though I keep reading conflicting information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet potatoes also make lovely house plants. steady one, root tip down, in the mouth of a mason jar filled with enough water to submerge the root tip one inch deep.

    if you're a hippy dipster from the '60s, and i know there is that possibility, macrame a hanger and display it in the window once wonderful stems and leaves emerge.

    cheers,

    gord

    ps hope you noticed i used sub- and emerge correctly in the same comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hazel Nut, this is Chris Elam, editor of Meatless Monday. Thanks for mentioning us and our recipes. Appreciate it! You might like our brand new video, as might your readers:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpnKeYmR1NM

    All thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzy: your version is making my mouth water...I am trying hard to be virtuous with my food but it's never easy. Especially when I realize there is a large bag of mini marshmmallows up in my cupboard...Hmmm
    Gord: houseplant?? Well, now I'm going to have to try that though I'm all out of macrame hangers!
    Chris: I will check out the video and post it on my blog - thanks for visiting!
    Hazelnut

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'm not sure what all is in the syrup but I used to just eat off the marshmallows! Of course that was frowned on so I had to take some of the sweet potatoes with it..I didn't like veggies much until the last 5 years or so...suddenly I started wanting them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!