Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Story of Stuff

Getting rid of stuff isn't so easy if you have a conscience, which I do. But did I spell it right?

I watched The Story of Stuff a couple of years ago and again today. If I knew when I was 20 what I know now I hope I wouldn't have bought so much stuff. In my defense I was raised to reuse and recycle by parents who had lived through the depression (the great one), and have also had to live on a meagre income most of my life. I guess what I'm saying is that I could have had a LOT more stuff if I'd been able to afford it. Happily I wasn't one to buy on credit so that helped limit my purchasing power.

However, what remains is still a lot of stuff I want and need to get rid of as I begin to downsize for retirement. That said, I vow to put as little into landfill as possible utilizing all the many Value Village, Goodwill and Talize stores that are in my neighbourhood.

I hear in the news that these stores are doing quite a good business during the current economic setback so hopefully my stuff can be put to good use.

(I also hope family members will take some of my stuff for sentimental reasons - who wouldn't want the shaving mug my father used 30 years ago?)

Anyone want a free piano?

1 comment:

  1. Nice Article, Country Oven Offers Best Retirement Gifts Online to India From all other Countries.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!